Re: "git push origin" requires extra setup in 1.6.3

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: "git push origin" requires extra setup in 1.6.3
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 13:07:45 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Patrick McCarty wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 01:49:12AM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> > Thanks for adding the info about .git/config
> > [push]
> >     default = matching
> >
> > to the CG, Patrick!  Bloody git developers and their bloody
> > inconsistent commands / setup requirements...

I was no fan of this addition.  But others argued that "git push origin
HEAD" would be a better default, so there will not be any default (except
when setting push.default).

> > Git gurus: could this config-file modification be avoided if we
> > use
> >   git push origin/master
> > ?  or using git push --all ?
>
> The extra setup can be avoided by using
>
>   git push origin master
>
> as the default incantation instead.  This works for all git versions.
>
> I wasn't sure if we wanted to document the shortened versions or not.
> "git push" (with no arguments) requires even more setup if you want
> precise control over what you're pushing where.
>
> Personally, I like typing the whole thing: "git push origin master".
> This way, I know exactly which remote and branch I'm pushing to.

Yes, that is what I recommend regularly.  Almost everybody who uses Git
for some time will install several remotes at some stage, because that
makes backup and developing on multiple machines so easy.  You definitely
do not want the defaults at that stage anymore.

Ciao,
Dscho