Re: Size of test output binaries has doubled

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Size of test output binaries has doubled
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:46:50 -0600

On 7/19/09 3:07 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:14:40PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> In preparing information on regression testing for the Contributors' Guide,
>> I happened to check the downloadable regression test results at
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/test-output/
>>
>> I noticed that prior to 2.13.2 the test results were approximately 70-80 MB.
>>
>> For 2.13.2 and 2.13.3, the results are approximately 136 MB.
>>
>> Is this an intended (or understood) behavior, or is it a bug of some sort?
>
> Well, it happened when I started making releases.  We /have/ been
> adding a lot of regtests recently, but I don't imagine that there
> were _that_ many between .1 and .2.
>
> My initial guesses:
> - GUB uses the system's convert (imagemagick) or pnmtopng or
>   something like that, and kainhofer has a different version of
>   those files than Han-Wen's system.  (and the other version has
>   poorer compresson)
> - 64-bit CPUs naturally produce larger png files.  (hey, I didn't
>   say these were all *good* guess.  ;)
> - Seriously: GUB might be adding extra files to the tarball...
>   maybe a "make clean" somewhere is failing, resulting in a bunch
>   of intermediate files being included?
>
> I'd encourage any interested parties to compare the files in the
> .1 and later tarballs, and to compare the filesizes.  Remote
> debugging from Vancouver to Germany is a pain, and in any case I'm
> at a music camp starting in 12 hours, so I won't be looking at
> this soon.  (if it's still a problem in Sep, I should have a
> desktop computer available, so debugging GUB will be *much*
> easier)

I've compared the difference in the output for .1 and .2.  The diff file is
available at
http://www.et.byu.edu/~sorensen/regtest-diff.txt
or
http://tinyurl.com/n5zlrr

The file names are the same, but some .eps files are more than 10x bigger in
.2 than in .1.  And I didn't see *any* .png files in the directories -- the
only occurrence of png in the directory tree was ps-to-png.scm.

HTH,

Carl