Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:52:59 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Monday, July 27, 2009 11:22 AM

Lilypond Syntax Development   (tentative name)

However, I think we now have a critical mass of interested users,
experience with the syntax, and developers.  I therefore propose
to have a Grand Project devoted to stabilizing the lilypond input
format.

The time is right for this.  I'd like to help.

- We're going to have lots and lots of emails flying around.  They
 don't really fit into either -devel or -user, so we'll use a
 mailist on lilynet.net.  Maybe the already-created proposals
 mailist, maybe a address@hidden mailist.

- I could be convinced to use the lilynet wiki for this project,
 although we'd need account-locked pages, and it would increase
 my workload.

No, stick to a simple maillist.

CRESCENDO

Reinhold and Frederick: as you may have guessed, I'm proposing
that your patch waits until 3.0.  Anything requiring such manual
tweaks will make some people very unhappy, such as mutopia.

This also serves as test of developers: we've avoided getting
"pinned down" with the input syntax because that would limit
development.  How do you two feel about your hard work on the \cr
stuff being delayed by up to a year?  I don't like asking this,
but I think there are solid reasons for it.

This would be a pity.  I've now forgotten the
details of the cr changes, but cannot a way be
found to introduce the new versions now while
retaining the deprecated versions until 3.0?
Even a partial introduction now would help users.

- Graham

Trevor