Re: git hang-ups

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: git hang-ups
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 23:34:18 +0100

Mark Polesky wrote Monday, August 03, 2009 4:25 PM

Graham Percival wrote:

What does:
  git reset --hard origin
or
  git reset --hard origin master
do?  I'd expect one of those to set you to a working state.  (NB:
by "I'd expect", I mean "as a user, I think the program should do
this".  Unfortunately, as somebody who's been fighting with git
for years, I have no confidence that git /will/ behave in that
manner)

$ git reset --hard origin
fatal: ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision or path not
in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

$ git reset --hard origin master
fatal: ambiguous argument 'origin': unknown revision or path not
in the working tree.
Use '--' to separate paths from revisions

These commands will fail.  The correct command is

$ git reset --hard origin/master

Let me know if that works.

Trevor

ps I'm still unable to discern the cause of
your problems; maybe the reset hard will
help, although a few rogue commits are not
likely to cause some of your other problems.