Re: Broken refs

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Broken refs
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:41:56 -0700

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 03:29:11PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le jeudi 06 août 2009 à 13:51 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> > No, big pages should link to the other big pages. That's how the current
> > .init
> > file is supposed to work. If it doesn' t, then that' s a bug in the script
> > and
> > needs to be fixed.
>
> But does the web site in one large page makes sense?

general.texi is a manual.  It happens to be the first manual that
people should read, but IMO it's still a manual.  My opinion is
that we should still produce one large page for this, but I'm not
too concerned either way.

> > Why one large file? I thought it should be one large file per manual, with
> > the
> > xrefs going between those large files.
>
> You think right, IIUC Graham and I never meant anything else.

Yes -- possibly the confusion arose from "general.html", by which
I meant "the one large file for the manual produced by
general.texi", rather than "the one large file that is generally
everything".  :)

> > Or am I misunderstanding what is being said?
>
> You 're right in theory, but from a practical point of view, current
> web-texi2html.init makes big page without navigation bars,

Sounds fine to me.  I suggest that we just go with this and add
the @rgeneral links.  If somebody wants to hack stuff to get
navbars in the large page at a later date, they can do that.