Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 17:45:44 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> I used "git rebase -i" to combine several commits into
> one for the first time recently.  This was in ubuntu.
> It threw me for a while because the first editor it
> brought up was nano (to edit the list of commits) and
> then vi (to edit the commit messages).  Not being
> familiar with either, the way to save and exit took me
> quite a few minutes to work out.
>
> It it possible to configure git to use another editor,
> like the ubuntu default, gedit, for these?

There are several ways to do it.  The first editor Git will try is what
the environment variable VISUAL says (although it does that only when
DISPLAY is set -- on Linux, on other platforms it is different), then
tries EDITOR, then GIT_EDITOR, then the config variable core.editor (which
can be defined in .git/config, $HOME/.gitconfig or /etc/gitconfig), and
finally fall back to vi.

Hth,
Johannes