Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i

From: Jean-Charles Malahieude
Subject: Re: Editors invoked by git rebase -i
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:42:26 +0100

Le 02/12/2009 13:38, Trevor Daniels disait :

I used "git rebase -i" to combine several commits into
one for the first time recently. This was in ubuntu.
It threw me for a while because the first editor it
brought up was nano (to edit the list of commits) and
then vi (to edit the commit messages). Not being
familiar with either, the way to save and exit took me
quite a few minutes to work out.

It it possible to configure git to use another editor,
like the ubuntu default, gedit, for these?

Trevor

Found in git-config.html, section about variables

"core.editor

Commands such as commit and tag that lets you edit messages by launching an editor uses the value of this variable when it is set, and the environment variable GIT_EDITOR is not set. The order of preference is GIT_EDITOR environment, core.editor, VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables and then finally vi."

HTH
Jean-Charles