Re: lilypond-book is hosed

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: lilypond-book is hosed
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 11:11:52 +0100

Le jeudi 24 décembre 2009 à 19:30 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Ah, we're talking about two different kinds of hashes.  One hash
> decides if the snippet should be (re)processed -- I don't care
> about that one.  Do whatever seems sensible for that.
>
> The other kind of hashing produces the lily-xxxxxxxx.ly filename
> based on the contents.  *That's* the kind that we (intentionally)
> changed to be independent of snippet options, in order to have the
> same filename produced for regtests with different options.
>
> That change seems to have disturbed the first kind of hashing,
> though.
>

> ** edit: rather, there are two *goals* of hashing in
> lilypond-book.  Technically, they seem to be generated via the
> same mechanism, which is the cause of this whole problem.  But we
> avoid that problem by using the regtest filenames, so that's fine.

This makes no sense.  Between two lilypond-book invocations, hashes are
not stored in any other place than in the filenames, so if lilypond-book
has to decide whether to rebuild a snippet, it can only do this by
comparing the computed hash to the hash in a filename, so there is no
way that filenames hashes should be generated with another hashing
mechanism, unless you store the actual hashes in some database.

> Doesn't input/regression/out-www/ use out/lybook-db ?

Yes, lilypond-book hardlinks output files from the second directory to
the first one.

> The bottom line is this: I'd like a regtest processed with one set
> of options to have the same filename as that same regtest
> processed with another set of options.  I don't care what you do
> to either set of hashes, as long as that goal is met.  :)

This goal makes sense only for test-baseline and check targets, right?
(see my final comment below)

> Whatever happens, I'll need to generate a new set of 2.13.9
> regtests with the new filename-hashing (or
> regtest-filename-keeping) in order to compare them with the
> 2.13.10 regtests.

OK.

> Sorry, I was only intending to propose this for the regtests, not
> the normal docs.

For 'doc' target, normal docs and regtests share the same snippet
database, so I'd rather not change filenames of regtests output when
building this target.

Best,
John