Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:42:22 +0000

2010/1/6 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:

> I've just posted a patch for the alternate segno sign.
> To use the new symbol stored at scripts.varsegno, I have
> adapted the arguments for the \bar command.

Very nice.  It's a bit different from the examples posted on the
tracker, but looks very elegant. :)

Two general thoughts:

1) I think the internal double bar is a bit too heavy for the glyph,
though I can understand why you'd use the default to tie in with the
span-bar.

2) Should the sign scale for different line-counts?  Of course, this
would be much more complicated to implement, since you'd have to split
the glyph into several parts. :)

> There is one problem I didn't manage to solve:
> I had to shrink the width of the character to 0 to place it
> between the double bar lines; this works but has the drawback
> that notes are too close to the segno bar. How can I solve this?

I think if you just add the segno glyph to the double-bar, i.e.,

m.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, LEFT, thin, thinkern);
m.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, RIGHT, thin, thinkern);
m.add_stencil (segno);

you can probably add a correction to the SpanBar to ensure it lines up
with the centre of the segno (either in ly:span-bar::print or as an
'X-offset callback).

Regards,
Neil