Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:40:07 +0100

Neil Puttock schrieb:
2010/1/6 Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:

I've just posted a patch for the alternate segno sign.
To use the new symbol stored at scripts.varsegno, I have
adapted the arguments for the \bar command.

Very nice.  It's a bit different from the examples posted on the
tracker, but looks very elegant. :)
Thanks!
Yes, the picture in the tracker has one loop missing, but in
all other sources, the sign looked (mainly) as mine.
Two general thoughts:

1) I think the internal double bar is a bit too heavy for the glyph,
though I can understand why you'd use the default to tie in with the
span-bar.
But how can this be solved? Should there be some kind of "segno double bar"
with a smaller width?
2) Should the sign scale for different line-counts?  Of course, this
would be much more complicated to implement, since you'd have to split
the glyph into several parts. :)
Phooey, I don't know if I am able to cope with this...
Generally, I like this sign, because it sticks in the staff lines and
therefore doesn't occupy space above the staff (in comparison
to the normal segno mark), but it seems not to be
used very often.

I also had the idea to enhance the \repeat command, so one can code
\repeat segno { ... } and lilypond inserts .S and S. instead of ||: and :||
but I don't have a clue (yet) how to cope with the coda, because coda
signs are not barlines, so I'll have to deal with \marks and stuff.

But in general, a proper usage for sengo parts is still missing in
lilypond's features in my opinion.
There is one problem I didn't manage to solve:
I had to shrink the width of the character to 0 to place it
between the double bar lines; this works but has the drawback
that notes are too close to the segno bar. How can I solve this?

I think if you just add the segno glyph to the double-bar, i.e.,

m.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, LEFT, thin, thinkern);
m.add_at_edge (X_AXIS, RIGHT, thin, thinkern);
m.add_stencil (segno);

you can probably add a correction to the SpanBar to ensure it lines up
with the centre of the segno (either in ly:span-bar::print or as an
'X-offset callback).
Ah, ok. Is there a possibility to get the width of the segno sign
to compute the shift in ly:span-bar::print? I am still
struggling with c++...

Thanks,

Marc
Regards,