Re: Revised version of waveform renderer on Rietveld that uses glpk

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Revised version of waveform renderer on Rietveld that uses glpk
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 16:54:11 +0200

Mike Solomon <address@hidden> writes:

> http://codereview.appspot.com/1720046
>
> Hey developers,
>     Today I had time to finish version 2 of my waveform patch that uses glpk
> to do smooth linear interpolation of waveforms.  As there is a dependency
> freeze & glpk is ultimately too big & too everchanging to be part of
> lilypond, this won't make it into 2.14, but I'd like to get it into a
> development version ASAP.  I've already composed a piece w/ the old version
> of the patch & the new version has rendered said piece even prettier.

What musical function serves this patch/notation?

There is no documentation as far as I can see, and I have the strong
suspicion that this is exclusively an ornamentation.

It seems nice to be able to add this sort of thing to Lilypond, but I
think it rather strongly demonstrates Lilypond's lack of modularity:
this sort of thing should sit in a separate directory and be loaded
on-demand under user control without needing any resident code parts
when people don't use it.

It makes no sense to maintain such a subfeature in a separate _branch_,
this should be a sub_project_ (in git terminology).  Including or not
including such a feature in Lilypond should not be a question of merging
some branch (with all the conflict possibilities), but rather of
including some directory in the hierarchy.  The difference at run time,
again, should be the presence or absence of files, preferably in a
separate directory of the Lilypond hierarchy.