Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:30:38 -0600

I appreciate the desire for frequent development releases, but there's got
to be some better way to work with this that I don't understand.

I'm trying to get a major patch approved that changes the syntax for
autobeaming.

Because it changes the syntax, I need to change documentation text,
documentation examples in english, french, spanish, and german (plus
potentially in hungarian and japanese), documentation snippets, regression
tests, web examples, and convert-ly.  Every one of these files needs a
version.  (And I haven't yet mentioned changes.tely).

How the mao am I supposed to get a patch reviewed?  I prepared the patch for
2.13.27, then updated it for 2.13.28, and now we're at 2.13.29.  The review
cycle is *longer* than the release cycle!  I suppose there's some way to use
xargs to fund the files changed in the patch and automatically (using sed)
change every occurrence of 2.13.28 to 2.13.29, but I don't have the bash
script-fu to do this.

I'm starting to feel like I'll never get this 41-file patch off of my
current issues and into the closed list.

Any suggestions for better ways to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl (can you tell I'm more than slightly frustrated over trying to chase
version numbers?)