Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:10:41 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 14. Juli 2010, um 08:47:17 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
> > But if you're working on a separate branch (as is right and proper
> > for a major change), then I'm not certain how to go about it.  I'm
> > looking forward to opinions.
>
> I don't see a problem here.  Just merge origin/master into your work
> branch occasionally, then the patch will be relative to the current
> version.

The problem is that many regtest files and mainly documentation files contain
\version "2.13.x"
These lines will all be out of date if a release happened while the patch was
under review. And in particular for new features, which require a particular
version (i.e. a new feature, or a changed syntax that needs a convert-ly
rule), it is essential that the version number is really the first version
where that syntax exists in the used form...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886