Re: Typos in English manual

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Typos in English manual
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:20:52 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Sunday, August 01, 2010 1:54 AM

On 7/31/10 5:51 PM, "Wols Lists" <address@hidden> wrote:

Do you put a comma after "that is"? Either way, it feels right. I'd be inclined to say "don't stick a comma after a full stop", and yes I know that the dot isn't really a full stop at this point but the sequence
"dot comma" still feels wrong.

Of course, we might want to consider (for the sake
of non-native english speakers) actually deprecating
both i.e. and e.g., and replacing them with
"that is" and "for example".

I agree with this.  A comma after "i.e." looks definitely
wrong to me as an English English speaker, but it's correct
after "that is".  So if a change is to be made let's go
for the full English expansions, with commas.

Trevor