Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Doc fixes for \applyOutput ... ok to push?
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:53:37 +0200

Mark Polesky <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> While a rationale is strictly not necessary in a bunch of
>> instructions, it will do wonders for morale and
>> acceptance.
>
> David,
> I guess I didn't think morale was an issue here...  Anyway,
> would you prefer this change to be made?

I would not mention monospace.  It might make people fiddle with
monospace font instructions, defeating consistency.

>  @item
>  @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden --- Use for metasyntactic variables
> (such
>  as @address@hidden, @address@hidden, @address@hidden, etc.).
> -When referring to variables in the text, use
> +In the PDF and HTML output, variables should appear in a monospace
> +font (to indicate that they are elements of program code).  So
> +when referring to variables in the text, use

When such variables stand for actual code variables instead of abtract
concepts, you should write
@code{@@address@hidden@@address@hidden@address@hidden@}} in text
passages in order to have the formatting in all backends agree with the
use of those variables in code passages, like
@code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden
or @code{@@example}.

>  @code{@@address@hidden@@address@hidden@address@hidden@}}, unless the
>  @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden is already within another fixed-width
> -command such as @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden
> +command such as @code{@@address@hidden@address@hidden or @code{@@example}.

I would not spell out the details like "monospace" or fixed-width: those
may change over time.