Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 16:30:30 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/7/10 7:51 AM, "Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I think I'd prefer desired-distance to optimal-distance.  optimal distance
>>> is what the algorithms actually end up with, as a tradeoff between desired
>>> distance and the amount of stuff on a page.
>>
>> How about requested- rather than desired-?
>
> requested- or base-  (like David suggested).
>
> I like base-; it's shorter to type, and it still carries the right
> connotation.

It is also consistent with the naming of the baseline-skip property.  It
would be more so if that were named base-lineskip (as I thought it
were).  Since that is actually a reminiscence of the TeX spacing trio
\baselineskip, \lineskiplimit, \lineskip, this hyphenation would have
made more sense to me.

However, looking at the program code of TeX, I find the Pascal constant
name constituents baseline_skip, line_skip and line_skip_limit.  Quite
in line with the hyphenation of Lilypond's property names.

Bah.  I still find base-distance a nice name and somewhat mnemonically
related to baseline-skip.