Re: [Patch:] Negative fret numbers cause a warning (issue 1035)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Patch:] Negative fret numbers cause a warning (issue 1035)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 01:48:20 -0700

On 12/22/10 1:30 AM, "Marc Hohl" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> attached is a small patch to handle Issue 1035.
>
> Instead of giving an error, it raises a warning when negative frets
> are calculated in tablature staves or in fret diagrams.

Marc,

If instead of being inside set-fret, this check took place in the form of a
(string-qualifies string (note-pitch note)) check at line 455, we could
issue the warning and then try to find a valid fretboard/tablature that
would handle the pitch, assuming the string number was incorrect.  That way,
we'd still have the note in play, and the string would be available for
other notes.

I think that's a more robust way to handle it than setting the negative fret
number.

Thanks,

Carl