Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 1278: Arrow notation for quarter-tones. (issue3789044)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 09:27:47 +0100

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> In the end, I'm a physicist, and pitch is a scalar, so a
> one-dimensional real-valued representation seems wisest to me.

Since "real-valued" means a fuzzy and undefined set of rational numbers
with denominators of the form 2^k for which not even associative law
holds, I strongly disagree.

Rationals are fine.  "real-valued" isn't.  Things don't compare
sensibly, things don't add up sensibly.  Transposition would be
gambling, as would be most other manipulations.