Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:15:51 +0100

Am Montag, 14. März 2011, um 15:38:45 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
> Reinhold Kainhofer schreef op ma 14-03-2011 om 14:42 [+0100]:
> > My concern is to use the midi file to listen to the music
> > and eventually generate nicely sounding output. Having one instrument
> > spread out to 5 midi channels (1 for the non-partcombined sections and 4
> > for the part-combined sections) does not help, when you want to adjust
> > some aspects of the playbeck, since you then have to apply the identical
> > settings 5 times...
>
> Each voice goes to its own track, however, they all go to the same
> channel.

Ah, thanks. I'm always mixing up those two.

> > See the attached file.
>
> Hmm, this looks as a real weird piece of music, having partcombine
> kick-in mid-staff?

The same problem also appears with voice splitting, i.e. when using << {...}
\\ { ...} >> or << {...} \new Voice {...} >>. Example is attached (plus a
rosegarden screenshot to show the midi tracks).

> Incidentally, how did you produce the .png?  It looks useful, apart from
> the fact that according to midi2ly, there is really only one channel
> being used -- I cannot confirm this image.

That's simply the .midi file opened in rosegarden (screenshot taken with
ksnapshot).

> > I'm currently not able to reproduce the lyrics problem with a simple file
>
> Good :-)

But I AM able to reproduce it with orchestrallily (screenshot attached)... I
just haven't figured out how to create a pure-lilypond file.

> > But the part-combined voices are all placed
> > at the very bottom. See attached sample case.
>
> Should be fixed for 'staff mode and I don't think that should hurt in
> 'instrument mode.  Also, I don't think this example is very realistic.

Voices starting halfway through the piece (not necessarily due to part-
combining, but due to other effects) are quite common, so this is not
unrealistic.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886