Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:05:43 +0100

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:49:06PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Does this patch help?  You'll dowload the full repo.

I'll test it soon.

> What I don't understand, is that when making releases with GUB, the idea
> is to use a local repo and never use savannah.  You could get a commit
> in that is untested.

No.  My idea is that I follow the published instructions in the CG
exactly.  And by "exactly", I mean "copy and paste".  If I get hit
by a bus, I want my replacement to know exactly what to do.  The
best way to ensure that is to slavishly follow the written
instructions exactly, all the time.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/minor-release-checklist

tl;dr webpage: I merge a good commit to release/unstable, then
build with
  make LILYPOND_BRANCH=release/unstable lilypond

We can discuss changing those instructions if you want, but
they've been working since Nov 2009.  The savannah network problem
is a huge pain for new contributors too, so I want to get this
sorted out.  At the moment, "sorting out" looks like "ok,
git+savannah simply cannot provide --depth reliably, so we'll
switch to cloning the entire repo".