Kievan square notation in LilyPond

From: aleksandr.andreev
Subject: Kievan square notation in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings, folks.

I am interested in adding support for Kievan square notation to LilyPond.
Kievan notation (aka "hatchet" notation) is used in the chantbooks of the
Russian Orthodox Church. Here is an example: http://tinyurl.com/3rbkhxg

Looking back at the archives, there was some discussion in 2006 initiated by
Fr. Panteleimon at Holy Cross Monastery regarding this topic:
http://tinyurl.com/4x8takn It looks like the project was abandoned or,
perhaps, never consummated.

I actually have the required glyphs for the notes in a TTF font, so the
issue is not of creating new glyphs. The question I have is how to add these
glyphs to LilyPond. Basically, what will need to be modified to get LilyPond
to support Kievan notation?

I appreciate the feedback.

Aleksandr Andreev
Ponomar Project