Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 13:52:20 -0600

On 6/16/11 12:02 PM, "aleksandr.andreev" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Greetings, folks.
>
> I am interested in adding support for Kievan square notation to LilyPond.
> Kievan notation (aka "hatchet" notation) is used in the chantbooks of the
> Russian Orthodox Church. Here is an example: http://tinyurl.com/3rbkhxg
>
> Looking back at the archives, there was some discussion in 2006 initiated by
> Fr. Panteleimon at Holy Cross Monastery regarding this topic:
> http://tinyurl.com/4x8takn It looks like the project was abandoned or,
> perhaps, never consummated.
>
> I actually have the required glyphs for the notes in a TTF font, so the
> issue is not of creating new glyphs. The question I have is how to add these
> glyphs to LilyPond. Basically, what will need to be modified to get LilyPond
> to support Kievan notation

The stem print back end will need to be modified to create the Kievan stems.

Either the note head glyphs will need to be added to the feta font, or the
alternate font that you have will need to be used to replace the feta font.
Replacing the feta font is doable, but not trivial.  Search on the mailing
lists for Gonville to get more information.

These are the main changes I see at the moment.  Others may have more
in-depth answers.

HTH,

Carl