Re: Logfiles from build

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Logfiles from build
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 16:32:52 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 04:19:33PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> In keeping with the GOP mentor discussion, (proposal summary)
> http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_2.html
> I feel compelled to warn you that you do not have "a realistic
> expectation of how things will work".  I hate to say it, but every
> instinct I have from watching lilypond development is screaming at
> me that this will end in tears, dissapointment, and/or bitter
> recriminations.  I've seen it happen again and again.  :(

To illustrate this point, consider this:
http://codereview.appspot.com/1724041/show
Look at all the time and energy that went into those patches.  It
might be educational to also check out the mailing list archives
from that period.  All for absolutely nothing.  Not one patch made
it onto git from all that work.

I want to avoid a similar thing happening.  At all costs.  I'm
reminded of Blackstone's formulation: "better that ten guilty
persons escape than that one innocent suffer".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackstone%27s_formulation

If I end up driving away 10 potential developers because I'm
overly pessimistic about the support which new contributors will
get, in order to avoid mishaps like issue 804, then that's a price
that I'm happy to pay.