Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Patch: small reduction in output from make doc
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:27:00 +0100

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 04:31:21PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> <address@hidden>
> >Hmm.  Does it only create key-initial.midi, or does it also create
> >key-initial.pdf ?  (or .eps, or .png, etc)
>
> According to the output, it also creates *.pdf.  However, none of
> these exist in the final build directory.  I think the .pdf is
> incidental - it looks on my current glance as though the
> ly->midi->ly process is used to generate the "MIDI test suite"
> documentation - although I don't currently know where that goes...

Hmm.

> >My concern is that at some point, we might call lilypond again on
> >key-initial.ly, and then we might redirect that output to .log as
> >well, and then overwrite the log file since > doesn't check if the
> >file already exists.  IMO, it takes a lot to truly be "too
> >paranoid" when dealing with build systems.
>
> a) We don't.  I've checked.  b) We don't create _any_ log files from
> .ly files during the build process, except those I've now started to
> create.  c) Even if we did (N.B. we don't) then no-one looks at the
> log files and they're never used, so it wouldn't matter.

alpha) is there any guarantee that nobody will ever add these in
the future?
beta) the log files will be important once we have good
notifications for developers pointing them there.
delta) I still think that "too paranoid" has a really high bar for
build systems, and that we haven't reached that yet.
gamma) typing ".midi.log" doesn't take a lot of effort; even if it
only has a 1% chance of avoiding somebody wasting 1 hour looking
in the wrong place in the build system, I think that's totally
worth it.

> >Could you change it to .midi.log to make an old man feel safe?  ;)
> >(any age that cannot be represented in 4 bits is "old")
>
> Only if you ask again, having confirmed you've read points a, b and c above.

I have read those points, and I'm asking again.

*** however ***, I will not be pushing this patch, even with that
change, until we notify the user of which logfile to look in, as
per the email in the "log file" thread.  So put this one on the
back-burner for now.