Re: suspended whole notes - possibly a defect, please give your opinions

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: suspended whole notes - possibly a defect, please give your opinions
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 19:46:10 +0000 (UTC)

Janek Warchoł <lemniskata.bernoullego <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Good example!  It reminded me that usually there are less suspended
> notes in a chord than normal ones (i.e. in your example the third pair
> consists of chords with two normal notes and one suspended).  Because
> of that it is indeed better not to "align horizontally" such note
> columns (in other words, last two measures from attached example are
> typeset correctly indeed).

Yes, it is good that Lilypond aligns horizontally the main note columns,
as opposed to the suspended note-heads.

Maybe you would like to have the suspended whole-note-heads always to the
right of the main note column.  Right now, LilyPond, suspends a whole-note
head on the same side as she would suspend it in a stemmed chord of the
same pitches.  This is consistent, but maybe this particular consistency is
not helpful to the reader.

> However, i'm unsure about the unequal measure length in that example.

Lilypond tries to keep consistent space from the /main/ column of note heads
to the end of the measure.  The extra space given to a suspended note-head
causes the measure to be longer; so the patch I proposed for issue 1779 makes
these measures equal length.