Re: Likely a good frog project for someone with C knowledge

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Likely a good frog project for someone with C knowledge
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 23:41:46 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:14:35PM -0300, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 7:17 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> > So what does relying on undefined behavior buy us apart from the
> > inability to debug type errors?
>
> It buys us time to work on more interesting and more valuable improvements.

By amazing coincidence, we have a potential Frog (I heard about
her about 24 hours ago) for whom this task is absolutely ideal.
She has experience with lilypond, scheme, C++, and assorted other
languages.  She even has a mentor!

I'm not suggesting that a major developer take the time to clean
up these things, but this seems like a fantastic way for her to
"get her feet wet" with the scheme/macro/C++ stuff -- and my vague
impression is that this is one area that contributors find the
most confusing.  I've heard both scheme people and C++ people
complain that they can work on either scheme or C++, but as soon
as a bug touches both areas they give up.  If she works on this,
asks questions about stuff she doesn't understand, and we add the
clarifications to the CG, I think this will be a great initial
Frog project.