Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Kievan square notation in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 15:44:53 +0200

2011/9/8 Aleksandr Andreev <address@hidden>:
> Hi folks,
>
> So now that we've got the Metafont code for the Kievan glyphs, what
> shall I do next?
>
> Basically, I would like to have an interface for Kievan Notation that
> achieves the following:
> 1. Automatically uses the Kievan tsefaut clef.
> 2. Suppresses Time Signature and Key Signature.
> 3. Uses the Kievan notes when the standard note commands (e.g., d1,
> e4) are issued.
> 4. Implements default placement of up vs. down variants
> 5. Ties implement proper spacing.
> 6. End of piece character placed at the end of the staff.
>
> How do I go about implementing these features?

I think it should be done similarly to ancient music support: add a
new kind of context, for example KievanVoice.
See how mensural notation works now - an example:

\relative c''
  \new MensuralVoice  { % without this, usual notation is printed
  bes4 a2 g2 f8 e fis2 g1
  }

As far as i know, MensuralVoice contexts sets some properties like
NoteHead #'style = #'mensural and so on.  If i remember correctly,
these specific settings are described in a file in ly/ directory,
probably engraver-init.
Of course you'll have to modify appropriate c++ files to make sure
that setting the style of anything to "kievan" will do what you want.
Let me know if you need more detailed description.

HTH,
Janek