Problem with git push

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Problem with git push
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 12:44:20 +0100

On my new machine, I get:

address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git push --dry-run
To ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'Note about
fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$

I did "See the 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' " but it didn't help me at all. Could anyone point me to what the problem is and how to fix it, please?

--
Phil Holmes