Re: modifying default behaviour of tremolo slashes (issue 4636081)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: modifying default behaviour of tremolo slashes (issue 4636081)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:39:59 +0200

On Sep 25, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Janek Warchoł wrote:

> 2011/9/25 address@hidden <address@hidden>:
>> Hey Janek!
>>
>> Sorry for the delay - I didn't realize you were waiting for me.
>>
>> I'll get on it tomorrow morning if not tonight.
>
> I'll try to idle on address@hidden today 18-20 GMT.

Hey Janek (cc'ed to dev in case anyone wants to comment),

I tried using the IRC today, but I'm not sure if my messages got through to you
or not (it's my first time using IRC).
Reading over the most recent version of the patch, I still don't quite get the
difference between style and shape.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the
sense that you see shape as being like a second style.  That is, grobs can have
a `style' parameter, and if the grob needs a second `style' parameter, it turns
to shape.

In the documentation (define-grob-properties.scm), the entry for shape is
written as if it pertains to all grobs, but you are adding the property to the
StemTremolo interface.  If you want it to pertain to grobs, you should add it
to the grob interface and should clearly distinguish how it is different than
`style' and why it needs to exist.  You should also put all of the valid
`style' values in the docstring for stem-tremolo-interface.  If you see it only
ever being part of the stem-tremolo-interface, then make the definition less
generic and write specifically what values it should take in the definition
itself instead of in the docstring.  In both scenarios, more information about
what `style' does in Stem_tremolo_interface needs to be provided.

And, if it is at all possible to merge shape and style, try to do that instead
of creating a new property.  I've spent several hours eliminating duplicate
properties from the code base, and it is much harder to remove one than it is
to create (both in terms of development-side coding and user-side changing of
overrides).  Since then, I've been very cautious about adding new properties.
If it's ultimately not possible to combine the two, then it'd be good to put a
note in the StemTremolo interface's documentation string as to why it is not
possible.

>> Never hesitate to send me direct, unambiguous nudge e-mails if you don't
>> hear back from me on something :)
>
> ok :)  How long should i wait before sending one?

You can send me as many nudge e-mails as you want - I never take offense.  I
have a backlog of many e-mails a day and I sometimes forget, so all nudges are
always appreciated :)

Cheers,
MS