Re: Dubious recommendation about ragged-last-bottom in spacing.itely

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Dubious recommendation about ragged-last-bottom in spacing.itely
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 17:32:36 -0500

Quoting David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:

Speaking of the defaults, the default system-to-system distance is too
short for my taste.  It may be OK it would save a page turn.  However,
it's used on the last page with ragged-last-bottom=#t even if there is
enough space on the page to use the same system-to-system distance as
on the previous page.  Often the last page has the worst layout
compared to previous pages.

Huh?

<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1377>

Fixed_2_15_23

Indeed, I confirm it. I still use Lilypond 2.14.2 for scores I intend to submit to Mutopia, so I remembered that the last pages didn't look good. So I checked the documentation about ragged bottom and found that it should be true. It just occurred to me recently that the documentation likely meant "false".

By the way, the documentation still needs to be updated:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-_005cpaper-variables

----
If a page has a ragged bottom, the resulting distance is the largest of:

    basic-distance,
    minimum-distance, and
    padding plus the smallest distance necessary to eliminate collisions.
----

Not anymore, and it's a good thing!

--
Regards,