Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 20:58:08 +0200

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> No idea when i'll have time to finish Tie Report, but as tie shapes
>> are screwed in general, i wouldn't care much about this change.  New
>> shape isn't worse than previous one, i'd say.
>
> I think that there's supposed to be a bit of space in there, no?  What does
> Gould say?

Definitely, current output is wrong.  But as i said, i'm not sure if
it's worth bothering as ties are screwed in general.

> What's important is to figure out why this change is happening.  As ties only
> ever use Skylines made from boxes (and not from stencil integrals), there
> must be some weird subtlety about spacing somewhere (or perhaps the new
> Skyline code) that is causing this.

Indeed, whatever the output is it shouldn't change because of new skylines.

>> Hmm.  I have another idea, which would be more difficult but also
>> extremely awesome, and it would be very handy for area spacing (see
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-03/msg00507.html):
>> make the skyline shape "magnetic".  See illustration here:
>> http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705595/magnetic_skylines_demo.pdf
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> It wouldn't be too bad from a coding perspective. The function deholify
> already does this for single skylines: try the skyline of a large font-size
> string "f   _   f" or something like that and the holes should be plugged
> with a sloped building.
>
> When there are multiple grobs involved, what becomes tricky is knowing which
> ones should allow for snug-fitting and which ones not.  I think that, as time
> goes on, we'll realize where the snug spacing is too close and will modify it
> w/ padding values.

Do you mean that padding should influence skylines' "magnetism"?
Something like this:
http://lilypond-stuff.1065243.n5.nabble.com/file/n5705597/magnetic_skylines_-_padding.pdf
(i.e. there would be only one setting, which would affect both the
padding and magnetism of the skylines)?
I think it might be a good idea.

cheers,
Janek