Re: Instrument names

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Instrument names
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 14:41:26 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 12:48 PM

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 02:32:42AM +0000, Keith OHara wrote:
Phil Holmes <email <at> philholmes.net> writes:

> So it would be easy to add something to the
> indent here to take account of intrument names.

The InstrumentName spanners can change when an instrument changes, or
whenever the user feels like changing the text.  The short-indent will
affect line breaking, which could affect which instrument name goes at
the front of each line.  Even if output-def.cc can find all the
InstrumentName spanners, it is hard to know which ones to pull information
from.

Hmm.  Could we just access the first instrument name, then set the
indent according to that unless the user manually sets an indent?
I think that will fix 99% of the "instrument names off the
left-hand side of the page" problems.

- Graham

I'm having a think about the best way to handle instrument changes, from a theoretical standpoint, not from an implementation one. Once I've checked what Sibelius does and if Gould mentions it, I'll update the list.

--
Phil Holmes