Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Set indent based on instrument name (issue 6457049)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:27:07 +0100

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 03:47:42PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I think this is a bit too far.  Phil is trying to solve a
> > long-standing *extremely* annoying bug for documentation writers
> > which has not attracted much attention from "real" programmers.
>
> I can't actually help here since either problem description or what the
> patch is trying to achieve is utterly absent from the issue.
>
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2703>

Right.  Looking at the pdf output of this:

\version "2.13.3"
\new Staff \with {
  instrumentName = "this is a really really long instrument name"
}{
  c'
}

I only see "rument name" to the left of the staff; the rest runs
off the left-hand side of the pdf page.  Printing text outside of
the page margins (let alone the page itself!) is bad.

Phil is trying to solve this by automatically increasing
  \paper{ indent=5\cm} }
so that there's enough room to print the instrument name.  (5cm
picked randomly; it's intended to be long enough to print "this is
a really really long instrument name")

Changing the indent is not necessarily the best solution (although
I can't think of anything better), nor is his approach necessarily
the best method of implementing it.  But the bottom line is that
the above example produces a sucky pdf right now.