Re: Regtest rating project

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Regtest rating project
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 16:23:35 +0200

> Once those are gone, we can think about the others.  Maybe there's
> a bunch of beaming regtests that need extra attention, but
> developer X is currently working on beaming so he could offer to
> take care of those dozen regtests.  (and then he could submit
> those fixes as either one patch or multiple patches depending on
> what else he's working on).  Maybe somebody is fixing slur
> collisions, and thus it makes sense for him to fix those 20 slur
> regtests.  etc.

I have a bad feeling about arrangements where the "natural" choice for
new tasks are those already busy on the old tasks.  If they have no
reasonable excuse for not doing more and more tasks they are not
particularly fond of, they might excuse themselves altogether.

For the tasks of intermediate difficulty, it would make more sense to
think about how we can let those already comfortable with easier tasks
move forward to them rather than thinking how we can create additional
tasks to bog down those already working on harder tasks.

They likely will pitch in anyway when they are stumped on their harder
tasks and/or need some intermission.