Re: [GLISS] verbifying music functions

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: [GLISS] verbifying music functions
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 20:02:40 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net> writes:
>
> > Graham Percival <graham <at> percival-music.ca> writes:
> >
> >> Let's have a look at verbifying music functions.
> >> [and special-cases that look just like music functions to the user]

> >> balloonText       => \addBalloonText
>
> I think that those commands basically retaining their last argument with
> extras could be
>
> \withBalloon
>
> \withFootnote
>
> but I am not particularly convinced that this really makes things easier
> for people.

It might make things easier, if the direction of the preposition reminds us
of the direction of application.

   bes a c <b-\withBalloonTextAt #'(2 . 2) "H">
(Apparently, and unsurprisingly, we all forgot which way balloonText works; it
affects the item before.)

But
   \footnoteOn ...
(Too bad we didn't keep this as postfix Having c4\withFootnote was more
natural. The case that looked funny was \breathe, because the breathing
sign is attached to the following note, presumably for proper spacing.)

 c4 \breatheBefore g'8( e c e g4)

LilyPond's lenient (red-tape-free) grammar causes users (me, at least)
trouble when they need to carefully study the manual examples what applies
to what. (Try reading the docs on \balloonText !) Wise naming can help here.