Re: Feature request

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:16:28 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> The original intent was for duplicate requests in most of these
>> cases to be ignored, so you could combine multiple identifiers into
>> chords, eg.
>>
>>  vOne = { c8[ d] }
>>  vTwo = { e8[ f] }
>>
>> forScore = \new Voice {
>>  << \vOne \vTwo >>
>> }
>>
>> without this affecting the typesetting.
>
> Interesting.  I'm hearing this the first time.  It seems completely
> undocumented (or rather unspecified).

Combining postevents not particular to individual noteheads via parallel
music?  I would be surprised if it is not documented somewhere, it can
be used on a lot more than just beaming.

>> I would advise against overloading the meaning of existing
>> constructs, as it will have compatiblility implications.
>
> My suggestion a few hours ago was to overload this only within the
> \beaming, but the last word have you and David :-)

It is not really a syntax issue how to interpret the resulting music
expressions, so it is not like a parser veto issue.  It just would lead
the "show \beaming by example how to do it" idea ad absurdum.  Granted,
one would not likely try to support parallel music for \beaming either
(one would need the partcombiner approach for that).  But it makes thing
work less than expected.