Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:30:58 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> 2012/9/27 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>
>> What do we need a zero width stencil for?
>
> Silly answer, to get the regtests correct. :)
>
> More serious, a zero width stencil will be considered during spacing.

Yes, but what do we need that for?

> Look at the output of the following 2.16.-example. If you switch
> between \bar "empty" and \bar "", they differ at line-end and
> line-begin.
>
> \new Staff
> \relative c'' {
>         \cadenzaOn
>         \repeat unfold 50 { c8 }
>         \bar ""
>         % \bar "empty"
>         \break
>         \repeat unfold 50 { c8 }
>         \bar ""
>         % \bar "empty"
>         \cadenzaOff
> }
>
> At least the zero width stencil from \bar "" is more convincing for my
> eyes.

But I don't think we advertise \bar "" for anything except introducing
optional breakpoints in the middle of a bar.  Why would we want
additional space then?  The spacing of an optional breakpoint should not
be different from the spacing of a forced breakpoint, should it?