Re: stepping down as project manager

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: stepping down as project manager
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:23:08 +0200

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>Janek wrote:
>> In this case, my understanding is that David was arguing against some
>> recent proposals because they would make it hard or impossible to
>> achieve corehence of design.  Unfortunately, from what i see Graham
>> understood that David is arguing on the base of implementation (i.e.
>> "no, because we already wrote it the other way").  This seems to me to
>> be a serious misunderstanding.
>
> Well, those discussions are usually going along the lines "let's replace
> x with y and/or do x in this manner" -- "that would not be how we do it
> elsewhere, how is that supposed to fit with everything else?" -- "I was
> not talking about everything else.  You are changing the subject".

Hmm.  I don't have such an impression, so we have a problem.
Can we chat tomorrow?  I can be online any time between 9 and 22 (your time).

> Now naturally I am not all too much interested in designing detailed
> approached for working around the shortcomings of proposals I consider
> going in the wrong direction in the first place.  But since nobody else
> does it either, I am a single point of failure.

Well, we need to find a solution to this problem.

>> Unfortunately, David seems to be the only active developer that
>> understands some parser subtleties - in other words, only he fully
>> knows the whys.
>
> Well, there is nothing magic about that as nobody else ever looks at the
> parser.

I understand that you're frustrated, but please note that i'm trying
to read and review your syntax patches.  Unfortunately i don't have
time to study them until i understand how they work - I wish i could,
but i don't have enough time now.  I'm asking questions and i had
learned some things about parser already.

best,
Janek