Re: fix representation switching from line-position to staff-space (issu

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: fix representation switching from line-position to staff-space (issue 6778050)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 08:16:32 +0100

2012/10/27  <address@hidden>:
> On 2012/10/27 20:34:35, benko.pal wrote:
>
>> I want staves with line-positions like (-2 0 2 4) work.

> Why would somebody specify (-2 0 2 4) with the expectation that the
> results should be identical to (-3 -1 1 3)?  Why would he not specify
> (-3 -1 1 3) in the first place then?  How is something "working" when
> it nullifies what the user is trying to do?

clefs: when specifying (-4 -2 0 2), you can use \clef alto or similar
to get a c-clef on the third line.  in other words: when I want to
LilyPond-ize ancient music using four- or six-line staff, the expected
representation is a standard staff reduced or expanded by a line.

I may well imagine that for some drumming applications the best
choice is a staff spaced by three, e.g. (-4 -1 2 5), because this way
every pitch in the range used is unambiguously assigned to a staff
line.  symmetrizing such a staff of even lines won't work at all.