Re: confessional (was Re: Configuring git-cl)

From: James
Subject: Re: confessional (was Re: Configuring git-cl)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 15:33:52 +0000

Hello

On 26 January 2013 13:38, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM, Adam Spiers
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Adam Spiers
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 10:55 PM, Adam Spiers
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Resurrecting an old thread, because I had the same questions due to
>>> the gaps in the contributor's guide ...
>>
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Just discovered that I already asked this about 13 months ago:
>>
>>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/41877/focus=41878
>>
>> Apparently gmane's memory is *way* better than mine.
>>
>>> I'll see if I can make a patch to the CG based on these findings.  Does
>>> anyone else have any further light to shed?
>>
>> This time around, I missed this sentence:
>>
>>     If you do not understand any question, just answer with a newline (CR).
>>
>> So I think it would be better to make this more explicit.
>
> I have created a patch, issue and Rietveld review for this:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3111

On David's request, I pushed this; unfortunately I accidentally pushed
to master rather than staging.  I immediately followed it by a push to
staging, so at least the two are in sync, but I fear this *may*
confuse any automated test infrastructure which is normally
responsible for advancing master (I don't know how it's implemented so
can't be sure).

It didn't appear to break anything. It just looked like (to the script) someone 'else' already pushed it before the scripts completed their checks prior to pushing[1].

James

[1]This sometimes happens when others (with fast enough machines) push to staging their own patches and then immediately run the automated 'merge' scripts on their own machines to merge/push it all into master. There is always at least one server (i.e. mine) that chugs away every two hours checking. So it isn't uncommon for a '...another instance has already pushed...' to happen in this case. I guess it might have been worse if you'd pushed to  master and not staging as well when you realised your mistake, but I don't pretend to understand what the scripts do ... 'I just work 'ere!'.

;)