Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Allows slurs to break at barlines. (issue 7424049)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 23:23:21 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Wednesday, March 20, 2013 10:38 PM

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 20 mars 2013, at 09:26, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> At the risk of prolonging the bike-shedding, here's my take.  For
>>> me, the key consideration is to provide an easily remembered name
>>> that can be internally vocalised as the slur is typed in.  And we
>>> need a user-centric (not developer-centric) word - what is the
>>> user's conception of such a slur?  Also we need an attribute of the
>>> end point of the slur, not the slur as a whole, since it is to be
>>> applied to an end point.  The word should fit comfortably as an
>>> adjective in the phrase "xxx slur start/end" as "free slur end" to
>>> aid vocalisation.
>>>
>>> I'm not keen on \broken or \fake; they have other incorrect and
>>> unhelpful connotations.  \detached or \free are better.  Others
>>> might be \floating, \hanging, \loose, \dangling, although these are
>>> a bit long.  Of all the suggestions so far I prefer \free.
>
> \free sounds connected to garbage collection.

Not to a LilyPond user - that's development-think and not really
relevant to a user interface.

See this piece of string?  Take the free end and ...
See this slur?  Take the free end and ...

\free still seems the best to me - ticks all the boxes.

> I'm not fond of \loose
> but could not give a good reason.  Maybe because of its connotations
> with spacing.

It doesn't sit comfortably when applied to the end of a slur, it suggests
something in danger of becoming disconnected.

> \dangling seems pretty accurate, but a bit contrived for
> reading it five times in a row.

And it implies the end is hanging down.

> \span is already taken by Scheme.  \split seems available.  It's a tiny
> bit nicer than broken in that
> a) it's not the same "broken" as in line break where the pieces stay
>   next to each other
> b) it's not the same "broken" as in broken clocks
> c) "split" suggests somewhat more that the pieces go separate ways

Only when applied to the slur as a whole.  But we want something
that applied to a slur ending.  The end can't be split.

> Oh, and \splice.  That one has a bit more focus on the pieces connecting
> again.

Ditto.

> What kind of word would people pick when describing a score on the
> phone?  For a single occurence, "interrupted" is likely a good
> candidate, but five times in a row something catchier would likely win.
> Probably "split" has a slightly better chance than "splice".

Ditto,

> Now for something completely different:
>
> To support really complex unfolded dashed/whatever spanners where just
> throwing every split/broken/spliced/fake span end away might not be
> sufficient, we might conceivably work with tags (remove tag volta-1,
> volta-2 in sequence when unfolding, or some similar scheme).

Ah, this needs more thought.

Trevor