Re: suggestion: change OctavateEight name to ClefTransposition - opinion

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: suggestion: change OctavateEight name to ClefTransposition - opinions?
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 10:14:16 +0200

Am 06.04.2013 23:44, schrieb David Kastrup:
Marc Hohl <address@hidden> writes:

Am 05.04.2013 23:02, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

The name "OctavateEight" doesn't have any sense - it doesn't show that
this grob is related to the clef, and anyway the clef can be
"transposed" by any amount, not just an octave.
I suggest to rename this grob to ClefTransposition or something
similar (since this is not strictly transposition, it may be best to
use a slightly different name... ClefShift? At any rate,
ClefOctavation would make much more sense than OctavateEight).
We can also change names of some related context properties, for
example clefOctavation, clefOctavationStyle etc.  My only worry is
that they may become too similar (clefTransposition and
ClefTransposition).
Thoughts?

+1

I'd prefer ClefTransposition over ClefShift, since the latter
implies some shift relative to the clef's default position.

I think I'd like ClefModifier.  Something like

+1

     `clefOctavation' (integer)
           Add this much extra octavation.  Values of 7 and -7 are
           common.

does not make sense.  Transposition is not really accurate since the
number is in steps rather than diatonic.  It is a bit disconcerting that
values of 7, -7, 14 and -14 lead to numbers 8, 8, 15 and 15.

I don't find "shift" all too bad: one can talk about pitch shifting
after all, and for spatial displacements we tend to use "offset".