Re: Issue 3457: Add snippet `Using \partcombine with lyrics'. (issue 113

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 3457: Add snippet `Using \partcombine with lyrics'. (issue 11328043)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:48:44 +0000

On 2013/07/19 09:42:54, Mark Polesky wrote:
On 2013/07/19 08:27:20, dak wrote:

> Basically, the question is whether we can do something like
NullVoice and get
> along without any engravers/properties in it.

excellent, except there's an odd beam inconsistency in the
last beat which I don't understand.

It's the partcombiner who does not wait for the end of the first voice
before switching its mode, thus interrupting the beaming.  Not related
to the Devnull stuff, but I was too lazy to cook up a better working
example as the fault is not related to this topic.

But this solution is
already a vast improvement.

However, consider this example (which doesn't work using
your Devnull method).  Ideally, what I'd want is to have the
"2" horizontally centered between the NoteColumn with the
alto F and the NoteColumn with the soprano B:

To be clear, there are two separate effects I'd like to
achieve with this one interface:

1) aligning lyrics to one of the two partcombined voices
2) aligning lyrics to a third (hidden) voice, without altering spacing

It's more like

3) aligning lyrics to non-existing note columns.

LilyPond does not align reasonably to non-existing note columns anyway.
One could try fudging in pseudo_engravers that create note-busy events,
but you'll still have the problem that you _either_ need to reserve
space (defeating the "without altering spacing" purpose) _or_ don't get
reasonable positioning.

https://codereview.appspot.com/11328043/