Re: Fwd: Re: Website improvements, part 1

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Website improvements, part 1
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:04:32 +0100

Am 16.12.2013 04:15, schrieb Graham Percival:
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 01:57:23PM +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
Am 12.12.2013 04:19, schrieb Graham Percival:
ok.  I also like the "applicances" tab, although I agree with you
that the name might be ideal (but I also can't think of a better
name right now).
Just a bunch of ideas:
We're talking about
- Applications of LilyPond
- Use of LilyPond in different contexts
- "Abusing" LiylPond
- integrating LilyPond in other tools
- making LilyPond part of something else
- using LilyPond as an engine for other tools

Does this trigger any ideas for a menu/page title with anybody?
If this was aimed at programmers, I'd be tempted to call it
"Integration" or "Library", but those would not be clear to 95%+
of people reading the introduction.  Hmm... I have a slight
preference for "applications" rather than "appliances"; as a
native speaker, I think "appliances" as being things like the
fridges, ovens, or washing machines.

As said in another reply I have the impression that "Applications" is what the majority of commenters would suggest. Although I've got two "votes" for "Other uses", which might also be quite telling when seen as a menu item.

IMO "examples" should remain part of that.
Any more opinions on that?
My reasoning was:
- I think "Features->Background->Freedom" and then
   "How LilyPond works"
   is a good reading path
- "Examples" is similar to a "Screenshots" menu item in many websites
   and can be somewhat taken out of that intitial reading path
Yes and no... I totally agree that "Examples" is similar to
"screenshots", but when we're talking about music engraving, the
quality of engraving (and flexibility / range of supported
notation) is an essential feature.  The only reason I didn't put
examples and features together was that I wanted to have a tab
called "examples" for additional visibility; some readers might
not realize that "features" included "examples" if I put them
together.

I mean, if you're talking about "why use lilypond?", then IMO the
examples are the most important part.  Freedom matters to some
people but not others, and IMO the background is almost completely
irrelevant.

OK, that makes sense.
Thank you for being more elaborate.

If anything, I think that the "web frontends" should get their own
tab.
You mean the box from "Editing" should be raised to its own page,
next to "Editing"?
Yes.

OK
The general design of the website is to
go top-left, top-right, bottom-left, bottom-right.  I'm not
certain this is an important distinction, but it's worth
considering.
OK, I considered it by clicking through the complete website (except
the docs of course) and saw that there isn't any single comparable
case.
Usually when we have two boxes side by side they are followed by a
column-center box, so the flow is clear.
True.  Could we retain the flow in a similar way?  Do we need 4
divs, or could we still only have 3?

I'll look into that. Probably it's possible to do with three. or maybe 1-2-1-1 which would make the flow easier to follow.

So what to do with it?
Semantically it would be less ambiguous to use only one column for
the Introduction page.
But that wouldn't look nice because the items are so short.
I could accept changing this order (i.e. exchange the boxes
right-top and bottom-left), but I wouldn't consider it necessary -
the ambiguity should be suitable for that page.
I'm still not wild about this "optional" flow.  The original pages
were aimed at:
- info 1.
   Decided you want lilypond?  goto text input.  Not decided go next.
- info 2.
   Decided you want lilypond?  goto text input.  Not decided go next.
- info 3.
   Decided you want lilypond?  goto text input.  Not decided go next.
- info 4.
... etc.

The whole goal is to funnel people towards "text input" so they
get the warnings about lilypond.  Either people aren't reaching
"text input", or the warnings on that page aren't sufficiently
clear.

I think that's a more clear flow than the proposed change.

Hm, I'll have to think about this once more.
Now I see your idea. But my impression is that this doesn't make "Text input" the ultimate goal where the reader reaches enlightenment, but instead rather makes it less prominent. I mean, from its positioning in the menu it comes even after Productions and Reviews - nobody would expect crucial information there, it's rather the place for the legalese stuff or a contact form...

Well, if the narrative flow would be kept, there are _at least_ two things I'd definitely change: - Make it more explicit that the "Introduction" is a "Tour" intended to be followed. - Reword the link to "Text input". Currently this is somewhat misunderstandable. If I have "You want LilyPond, then you can now" I'd expect this to be "download it".
  But we want to say: "download it, but _before read "Text input"_".

The incentive for reviewing of the website structure was (on
lilypond-user) that too many people don't realize the basics of the
compiled approach when visiting the website.
See other thread for clarifying text input.

More involved changes that I could nevertheless put up for review?
- Rename "Easier Editing" to "Editing"
   (does this affect translation more than other changes?)
Probably, but that's why it's even more important to present that
as an independent change.

Do I see it right that I should definitely make such a patch only when no other pending patches still point to "Easier editing"?

- Updating the "Editing" page
   (split in two parts: reorganisation of items / rewording)
- Rewrite of the "Features" page
I'd include "adding a new page for web apps" in the list of small,
independent patches that should go forward.

And:
- remove GSoC page (although that's in the "Community" section and could therefore be postponed).
- Update Manuals->Web page as previously discussed.

Urs