Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Remove old "News" entry from home page
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 13:52:13 -0700 (MST)

Paul, et al,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Paul Morris [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> > On Jul 9, 2015, at 5:39 AM, James <[hidden email]
> <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=178576&i=0>> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps we can tweak the 'website' slightly (i.e. make small changes to
> > the TexInfo code) to perhaps do something like moving some/all of the
> > text from here
> >
> > http://lilypond.org/introduction.html
> >
> > to the front page/news and jig the menu (?) links around to fit?
>
> My thinking is that it would be good to move some or all of the examples
> page[1] to the main column of the home page where the news is now.  That
> clearly shows what LilyPond can do, front and center.
>
> To me the full news listing seems less important to feature so prominently
> on the home page, so one idea would be for the news list to become a list
> of headlines in the home page side bar (possibly made wider) with each
> headline linking to that news entry on a separate news page.  That separate
> news page could just be a slightly revised version of the current "old
> news" page[2] (i.e. just call it “News”).
>
> -Paul
>
> [1] http://lilypond.org/examples.html
> [2] http://lilypond.org/old-news.html

I love this idea! What if, instead of moving all the contents from
.../introduction.html or .../examples.html to the front page, we just
brought over the secondary bar of links:

[image: Inline image 1]

That way visitors can quickly jump to "Examples" if they want, or
"Reviews", or "Features", etc.

On the other hand, if these could be set up in a tabbed format so that by
clicking on one its contents would immediately appear below these links
without the user leaving the homepage. I realize this isn't trivial, but it
would be so much more visitor-friendly. Here's an image mock-up of what I'm
thinking of (notice the "News" link at the top instead of "Introduction"):

[image: Inline image 3]

Just my 2 cents.

- Abraham

lilypond-website-mockup.png (391K)