Re: Music glyph design choices

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Music glyph design choices
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 13:10:48 -0700 (MST)

On 8/10/2015 10:57 AM, Phil Holmes-2 [via Lilypond] wrote:
> [...]

Yes and no. I don't feel super comfortable putting together an official
.PATCH, but I can definitely post my proposed changes or send updated
files to anyone who has more experience getting these officially in the
assembly line. FWIW I took the liberty to play around with the code that
creates the double flat glyph and here's what I have that we can talk
about if anyone cares to chime in.

First, the double flat. In the following image, you'll see three glyphs
in the right. From the top, we see the current glyph, with the left
flat's width = 0.7 and the right flat's width = 0.8. Next down shows
what would happen if we averaged the widths of the two flats, which
keeps the overall width of the glyph the same as the current one. The
bottom glyph is composed of exact copies of the flat glyph with an
appropriate overlap, to me at least, based on real scores I've seen. The
only "downside" I can see is that it becomes a _little_ wider than the
other two. Personally, I think this is going to have a minimal spacing
effect on most scores since its usage isn't nearly as common as the flat is.

Thankfully it's just a matter of setting these variables in the glyph's
MF code (except for "width", which is calculated). The "crook" value is
multiplied by "staff_space". The flatflat.slash glyph should probably be
changed to be the same.

BTW, if it isn't obvious from the picture, the "overlap" variable is how
much the left flat's right-most bound overlaps the right flat's origin
(the blue line), so even overlap=0 will have some real overlap because
the flat glyph's left-most bound isn't at x=0.

Second, changing the prallup and pralldown glyphs according to my
previous suggestions would also quite easy, if that were agreed upon.
This is done by simply changing the order of the glyphs in
feta-trills.mf to be

prallprall
prallmordent
upprall
upmordent
prallup*
downprall
downmordent
pralldown*
lineprall

(* i.e., just swap the prallup and pralldown places) and adding
"currentpicture := currentpicture yscaled -1;" at the end of both
prallup and pralldown definitions, the thick and thin parts of the
zig-zags are then consistent across all of them. I don't have any
historical proof to back my proposals for these two glyphs. It just
seems "right" to make them consistent with the rest of them.

Those are my thoughts. Any
thoughts/questions/concerns/rebuttals/snide-remarks?

- Abraham

jagbhabg.png (175K)
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/attachment/179444/0/jagbhabg.png>