Re: guile-2.0 and debian

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 and debian
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 13:16:09 +0100

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> Probably worth adding:
>>
>> (display (make-simple-markup "xy"))
>>
>> results in:
>>
>> 2.19.51:
>> (#<procedure simple-markup (layout props str)> xy)
>>
>> 2.19.52-guile2
>> (#<procedure simple-markup (a b c)> xy)
>> Which is technically correct but not helpful.
>
> I don't think that we can do anything here except possibly not produce a
> procedure in the first place but rather a callable Guile structure, with
> its own print procedure consulting the documentation string (which
> contains the actual arguments these days I think since I already got
> bitten by this in the course of Guile-2 conversion and autogeneration of
> the Internals Reference: it's not like I haven't done any Guile-2
> conversion work previously).

Indeed and your work is highly appreciated!!
Regrettable you didn't get much (down to zero) feedback.
That was partly due to guile-2-versions not released or not available
in any distro or (mostly) not working.

The first guile-version possible to work with, was 2.10.12, released July 2016.
Ok, I missed it. Otoh, this version was never packed by ubuntu and/or debian.
guile-2.0.13 was released Octobre 2016.

For me the very first opportunity to have a closer look at all. And it
was a hassle to get guile-2.0.13. Should be easier now with the
discussed containers. Probably Federico will solve the
LilyDev-problems as well, which would get us some more people
involved, at least I hope so.

> But that would come at some cost.  It would also make sense to remove
> the "layout props" parts of the arguments similar to "parser location"
> have been removed.
>
> And while one is at it, unify markups and markup lists.  And so on.

Meanwhile another issue

Putting
(procedure-source guile-v2)
into the scheme-sandbox I get the following results:

2.19.51:
(lambda () (string>? (version) "1.9.10"))

2.19.52-guile2:
#f

Hmm, not nice...

Cheers,
  Harm

P.S.
The current thread blows up more and more.
I'll start new ones for looking on single/limited problems