Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1

From: Ken Sharp
Subject: Re: Ghostscript/GhostPDL 9.22 Release Candidate 1
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 09:36:55 +0100

At 10:12 22/09/2017 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

Well, if we could delay the embedding, I'd not be particularly sad:
"make doc" currently(?) eats up more than 3Gb which is sort of
ridiculous.  The intermediate PDFs for lilypond-book are arranged in
some "database" and not really externalized, so if they don't work on
their own, this isn't a showstopper.

I guessed this was the case, and that's what I was aiming for, sadly it doesn't work.

At any rate, any such strategy could not be implemented and tested in
short time, so if in the mean time the font merging expedient would stay
available for some time, it would make things a lot smoother for us.

Clearly it'll have to, whatever happens next. There simply isn't time to implement and test anything else. And I'd be very nervous about putting any changes into the release without a decent interval for bugs to emerge.

We are not really striving for "optimum" rather than "better than awful"
regarding the resulting file sizes.  This seems like being close enough.

Again I guessed this was probably the case, but its good to hear it for sure. As I said in reply to suzuki toshiya, if the font isn't being fully embedded I'd be inclined to regard that as a bug (slightly diffident as I don't even know *why* its not being fully embedded yet, there might be a good reason).

If the font(s) were fully embedded, then mutool could remove the duplicates from the final file. Caveat; the intermediate PDF files will be bigger, possibly a *lot* bigger. Currently the font streams are running at ~9KB, the full font is ~65KB uncompressed, lets say 30 KB compressed (CFF fonts don't compress well). So you're looking at each file growing by about 40KB. If the 3xfont embedding I see in 9.22 is real, then that becomes 100KB, maybe more if its one font per character.

I'm sorry to keep repeating but I do need to take a good chunk of time to look into this, which I don't have right now.

I need to see why the font isn't being fully embedded, and why 9.22 is apparently embedding multiple fonts when I'd only expect one. The text and font code is particularly difficult to debug and amend, so this is probably several weeks work.

                        Ken