Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 01:56:57 -0700 (MST)

Hans Åberg-2 wrote
> One only needs two extra files (below) that define and call the accidental
> glyphs in the Bravura.otf font, […]

Hi Hans,

Nice work!
If I understand it correctly, the main reason for switching to Bravura are
missing Emmentaler accidental glyphs (obviously the multi-arrowed ones, if I
look at your definition files).

Incidentally, I'm planning to fill in the Emmentaler gaps in the (very) near
future directly after issue #3356 has been fixed (in two weeks latest).
In the course of issue #3356 "add triple flats/sharps" I've unified and
considerably generalized the Metafont accidental glyph definitions so that
it is now possible to create a whole variety of arrowed accidentals (the
existing standard arrows as well as new stacked smaller arrows, "black"
flats (with filled-in counters), etc.
The Metafont overhaul was, among others, the reason why it took so long (but
it's in the final internal testing phase now, struggling with
spacing/positioning issues for big-arrow-up doublesharp).

The new glyph names for the tiny-arrowed accidentals (just the ones you
currently use are mentioned here) will be

  accidentals.flatflat.1up
  accidentals.flatflat.2up
  accidentals.flatflat.1down
  accidentals.flatflat.2down
  accidentals.flat.1up
  accidentals.flat.2up
  accidentals.flat.1down
  accidentals.flat.2down
  accidentals.natural.1up
  accidentals.natural.2up
  accidentals.natural.1down
  accidentals.natural.2down
  accidentals.sharp.1up
  accidentals.sharp.2up
  accidentals.sharp.1down
  accidentals.sharp.2down
  accidentals.doublesharp.1up
  accidentals.doublesharp.2up
  accidentals.doublesharp.1down
  accidentals.doublesharp.2down

That way, we can gradually make LilyPond's Emmentaler keep up with SMuFL
accidentals (and Dorico… ;))

All the best,
Torsten

--