Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Turkish makam using regular.ly
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 05:23:08 -0700 (MST)

Werner LEMBERG wrote
> Indeed.  I suggest that the tips of the arrows don't cross the staff
> lines.

Hi Werner,

Yes, the by far most difficult task when dealing with arrows (and slahes!)
is to avoid them being obscured by the stave lines.
The smaller the design size, the bigger the problem.

Here are the experiences I made with arrowed/slashed accidentals:

* slashes/arrows must not end within stave lines because that obscures their
form and makes them look shorter than they are
* Either stay within stave spaces or clearly intersect the lines
* For small design sizes, slashes have to become (relatively) thicker and
the "small arrows" need to become (relatively) large in order to keep up
readability.

As far as the tiny arrows are concerned, I'll still have to work on suitable
attachment points.
In the Emmentaler-20 example attached, it can never be avoided that arrows
cross stave lines (up to three arrowheads, and everything has to work for
accidentals on a line and between lines).
But if they cross a line, they'll have to cross it clearly.

But I'll be glad to discuss this once the triple accidentals have been fixed
(I also filled in the missing quarter-note gap)… And these triple
accidentals provide a greatly enhanced enhanced functionality, even if it is
not fully used (yet).

*Example: Changed Metafont accidental arrow parameters*
Up to now, the arrowup/arrowdown parameter has just been a boolean: false
meant "no arrow", true meant "arrow". Now I've changed it to integer values:
0 means "no arrow", positive values mean "that many standard arrows",
negative values mean "that many tiny arrows".
The arrow mechanism technically works for all the flats, naturals and
sharps.

Thanks for the helpful (and encouraging) hint,
Torsten

--
Sent from: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Dev-f88644.html